Sunday, February 21, 2016

Practice, Practice, Practice

Hello once again, my friends! For this blog entry, to quote the great NBA'er Allen Iverson, "We're talkin' 'bout practice." That's right, perhaps the most over-stated bit of advice that is offered is that of "practice makes perfect." Yet, the saying rings true every time. I've always been fascinated by the "10,000 Hour Rule" of Malcolm Gladwell. Basically, the theory states that to be an expert in something, 10,000 hours experience is the point of expertise. (http://gladwell.com/outliers/the-10000-hour-rule/) In terms of flying, many pilots have 10,000 hours and up! In my case, around 200 hours, there is still room for that word...practice.

For the past 24 hours, the weather has been the object of my...affection(?) Keeping an eye on the forecast, I knew that the winds would be decent, and no precipitation was expected either. My main worry was the cloud cover. The forecast called for 3,500' Overcast, and that was pretty close to accurate for what actually happened today. As I mentioned yesterday, Patrick Collins and I planned to fly together (weather permitting), and that we did! We took N998RA.


When we arrived, the clouds were Overcast @ 2,800'. Needless to say, we had to do a bit of maneuvering to stay VFR (Visual Flight Rules.) However, we still had the weather minimums needed to shoot the instrument approaches I had planned for. First up, I elected to shoot the ILS approach for RWY 28, into KGVQ (Batavia.) As you've seen in previous posts of mine, I have practiced this very approach in the flight simulator a few times. I wanted to fly the approach to the minimums, and then go "missed." After that, I wanted to fly the missed-approach procedure, and I did! Here's how it was done...


1.) Depart KROC for POCZI intersection (beginning for ILS approach.)
2.) Direct entry onto final-approach course of 282 Degrees.
3.) Approach made to minimum altitude (1111') and visibility (1/2 mile.)
4.) Missed-approach procedure initiated, straight-climb to 1,500', then turning climb to 3,000' via heading 130 Degrees. Then, re-intercepted the final-approach course reciprocal on the localizer. THIS is tricky, and the "needle" on the localizer is now backwards (flying on the back course.) Left is right, right is left!
5.) Parallel-entry into the missed-approach holding pattern @ 3,000'

KGVQ ILS 28 Approach Plate

Phew! Wasn't that fun? After we completed a circuit on the missed-approach holding pattern, we dialed up KROC once again, and requested to proceed inbound to land, after flying the RNAV 25 approach. The clouds began to set-in, so we received vectors from KROC approach control. The RNAV 25 approach wasn't quite as "involved" as the ILS in Batavia, but it is still good practice nonetheless.


6.) Dialed-up KROC approach after going "missed" @ Batavia, began received "vectors" (or headings to fly) from controllers.
7.) Vectored onto the final-approach course (256 Degrees), and approved for approach by ATC.
8.) Flew the approach, cleared to land, and landed!

KROC RNAV 25 Approach Plate

After landing, Patrick and I proceeded to do some "mock" Instrument Checkride Oral Examination. Using my ASA app "Instrument Checkride," we ran through some "hot topics" in IFR. After we did, I felt pretty confident about where I stand. I know that I still have a few things to "tighten up" on, but I know I will. Overall, I feel ready for the checkride.

Once again, I want to thank my buddy Patrick for his help and mentoring! As always, my friends, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

2/21 Flight Time Logged = 1.3 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 191.8 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 58.2 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment