Saturday, February 27, 2016

After-School Hangar Flying

Hello friends! I am pleased to report that my planned presentation at the Rochester Public Library, Sully Branch, went very well yesterday. My friend and colleague from the St. John Fisher Museum Studies program, Timothy Ryan, thought enough of me to invite me to present to the after-school program. It was a real honor. This was actually my second time presenting at the Sully Branch, as I had previously done a program on the "Red Tails" and Mr. Leland Pennington/"Lucy Gal," back in 2012. 



For this presentation, I focused on my personal path to becoming a pilot. I wanted to try and inspire the group, about a dozen young boys from pre-teen to teenage. The crowd was engaged, and asked many good questions! A few of them relayed to me that they had previously learned of the Tuskegee Airmen, and were well aware of their significance in history. This brightened my day. A few of the boys also told me of their family members who had served in the military, one young man's grandfather was a Marine in WWII. 



All of the boys who attended were rather impressed by the P-51 Mustang, which I spoke about in terms of the Tuskegee Airmen, and my own plans for my flight training. This just goes to show, there is no bond tighter than that of kids and airplanes! Overall, I would call the program a smashing success. The kids were happy and informed, and seemed to enjoy all I had to say. I want to thank my good friend Tim Ryan for inviting me to present, what an honor it was! Also, I'd like to thank my aviation buddies Steve Shanker and Andrew Ginsberg for attending, and taking photos of the event. Your attendance meant a lot to me. 


Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

No comments:

Post a Comment