Sunday, February 28, 2016

Drilled & Grilled

Good day friend, colleagues, and family! What a beautiful late-winter day we have had today, here in Western New York. Of course, we have been very lucky so far this winter, with un-seasonal conditions being the norm (nothing wrong with that.) Today, my friend Patrick Collins and I once again took advantage of what Mother Nature had to offer. We took another "practice" Instrument Checkride flight, to prepare me once more for my impending flight test on March 11th. When we met up this AM at the Air Center, we planned to 1st to the RNAV approach into Leroy (5G0) for RWY 28, and then come back to Rochester (KROC) for the ILS approach into RWY 22. Of course, it would be as simple as that last sentence makes it seem. We'd throw in a few "hiccups" along the way to keep me sharp for the test.

Today's flight path: KROC>>>GEE>>>5G0>>>KROC

The RNAV approach into 5G0 initiates at none-other than our good friend GEE, the Geneseo VOR. From there, you fly a procedure turn over the VOR, then over the waypoints seen on the approach chart. In the case of today's approach, I opted to execute a teardrop entry into the procedure.


Leroy (5G0) RWY 28 RNAV Approach
1.) Fly to Geneseo VOR
2.) Overfly the VOR @ 2,500', outbound for 1 minute, turn inbound to 002 Degree course
3.) Follow 002 Degree course to BEYLA waypoint, stay @ 2,500'
4.) Once past BEYLA, descend to 2,200' and intercept the glideslope at CUSUS waypoint
5.) Follow final approach course of 284 Degrees, execute missed approach if no runway in sight at 1,180' and 1 Mile.

On the Leroy approach, I fought the winds hard. They were stiff today, causing a need for much correction. Patrick and I agreed that I needed to anticipate that before initiating the approach, and next time, I will! Still, the approach went well, and we executed a missed-approach for practice.

After our missed approach at 5G0, Patrick pulled a "fast-one" on me, similar to what the examiner might do on my checkride. He asked me, instead of returning to KROC for the ILS, to divert and fly to nearby Ledgedale Airport (7G0) for the RNAV approach there. Well, guess what? I wanted to, but could not because I did not have that approach plate on-hand, either on paper or digitally! Oops! This could be a costly error on the checkride, and an immediate fail. Good thing this was practice, as you can bet I won't be making that mistake again. 

After we cancelled our deviation to Ledgedale, we proceeded back to KROC as planned. The ILS for RWY 22 is a fun one, today we received vectors from ATC. They had us intercept the approach at MAPES OM.


KROC ILS RWY 22 Approach
1.) ATC issues vector to final approach course of 224 Degrees @ MAPES OM. Reach MAPES OM @ 2,500'
2.) Intercept glideslope @ MAPES OM, begin descent on final approach course
3.) Descend to 759' and if runway insight, and 1 Mi. visibility exists...
4.)...Land @ KROC

We landed successfully @ KROC, and both agreed that the flight went well! As we "de-briefed," Patrick and I agreed on both the need for wind corrections, and my having the current charts on hand. Something to look forward to for next time. This is why we make mistakes, to learn. 

I should also mention, yesterday, my mother (Mary Anne) was a huge help. She reviewed possible checkride oral-exam questions/scenarios with me (over coffee, of course!) Between my mum, and my buddy Patrick, this weekend has been a huge help towards my upcoming checkride. I want to thank them both, and all of the other great people in my life, for the support. Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

FAA Instrument Rating Checkride = 12 Days Away
2/28 Flight Time Logged = 1.2 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 193 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 57 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment