Sunday, February 14, 2016

Flying the "Friend-ly" Skies

Hello, friends! I have to play catch-up for last week, which did result in me being able to fly once again. I was very busy surrounding the flight! I dealt with a flat-tire before hand (on my car, not the plane), and also served as a skating coach for my young brother's birthday ice-skating party. So, "better late than never," as they say.

Last Sunday, the 7th of February was a beautiful day. As I recall, temps were in the 40s, with variable winds. This made for the perfect setting to fly, and for two aviation friends to finally fly together. Of course, I am talking of none-other than the legendary Mr. Patrick Collins. Pat has been a friend of mine for years now, and a great diplomat within the aviation community. He is a great pilot, and a great guy all around. Both of our schedules and circumstances finally allowed us to convene for an IFR training/practice flight.

For this flight, I planned to head down to Dansville Airport (KDSV) for a $50 cup of coffee. There is a McDonald's directly across the road from the aircraft parking ramp. This is perfect for debriefing over some "joe" after a botched instrument approach! Anyhow, the overall flight-plan for the day was to do an RNAV approach into KDSV, land for coffee/socialization, takeoff towards the Geneseo VOR (GEE), and from there shoot the VOR-A approach into Canandaigua (D38.) Lastly, after going "missed" on the D38 approach, we'd shoot an ILS approach into KROC and land. 

Our flight path from KROC-KDSV

The RNAV approach into RWY 14 @ KDSV requires a bit of maneuvering, as seen by our flight-path above. Here is the approach chart, which reflects the necessary maneuvers exhibited above!


If you look, you can see the "Zig-Zag" I made from WELTI to WUSAT to VEBUC, then into KDSV. This is one of the more challenging approaches I have flown thus far, and I intentionally wanted to throw myself a few curveballs. This approach required a lot of quick thinking, heading changes, etc. Pat was great at keeping me in check, doing the same thing the DPE (pilot examiner) would do on my flight test. Overall, though I did get frazzled at some points, I made a successful approach and landing. I feel way more confident now, so much so that I want to do it again!

Pat and I ambled over to McD's for our coffee and some "hangar flying," and then we left for the Genseo VOR/Canandaigua approach shortly after.

KDSV to GEE to D38



The VOR-A approach into D38 initiates from the Geneseo VOR (GEE.) As seen above, we tracked into GEE first, and shot into D38. VOR approaches are relatively straight-forward, the key is timing your approach based on groundspeed/wind component. On this day, this wind was a bit "stiffer" than I had anticipated, and I arrived 5 seconds earlier than planned (3:15 instead of 3:20, as shown on the approach chart above.) But, this is why you practice! Either way, we executed the missed approach and headed back home to KROC.

D38 to KROC for ILS 28 Approach


The ILS approach into KROC is always fun. Sometimes, as a student/private/small-plane pilot, you have to wait for the airliners and other "fast-movers" to land before you can. As a result, you are often "vectored" by air-traffic control (given headings to fly until cleared for approach/landing.) In last week's case, I was vectored quite a bit. Regardless, it did not affect the effectiveness of my approach. Furthermore, for the first time, I executed a "circle to land" procedure. Rather than land on RWY 28, and taxi alllllllllll the way back to the Air Center's ramp, I elected to land on RWY 25, much closer! If an instrument pilot has visual of an adjacent runway, while on a published approach for another runway (and circling minimums are established), that pilot may land on the adjacent runway. This was a little bit "weird" feeling for me, as it was the first time doing the maneuver. However, it went fine, and now I have confidence with a new procedure (thanks, Pat!)

Pat Collins and I, over Geneseo (D52)

Overall, the flight went very well! I am honored to have a friend like Pat "in my corner." He will really help me hone my skills as we rapidly approach my March 11th Instrument Checkride. So, until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

2/7 Flight Time Logged = 1.8 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 190.5 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 59.5 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment