Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year, Same Plan (Never Give Up!)

2015 is done. As I grow into my 20s, I find that the years pass so fast that they are merely figures of our imagination. Time is just that, to me, a word. I measure time by accomplishments, not seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks...etc. Why? Well, I don't like to tie myself to a calendar, to a universal standard. This may sound "weird," but then again, I've never been one to be "normal" (most pilot's aren't!)

Despite my lack of willingness to label a block/period of time as a "year," I feel that 2015 has been a very special one for me. ***Side note: I do not like to brag, so please don't think that is my intention in this (or any) post(s.) I am merely doing all of this to keep family, friends, and any other interested parties "in the loop" about my journey to becoming a professional and warbird pilot.***

2015 brought me great opportunities, which I am honoured to have been able to take advantage of. Here's a quick summary!

- First, I graduated college in May of '15! I earned my Bachelors' of Science in Marketing, with a Certificate in Museum Studies, from St. John Fisher College. I elected not to attend the graduation ceremony, as I had the opportunity to instead attend the "Arsenal of Democracy" Fly-Over, in Washington, D.C. This commemorated the 70th Anniversary of V-E Day. I represented our local MIA Tuskegee Airman Leland H. Pennington, on behalf of the Pennington family. The highlight of the weekend for me was meeting a hero of mine, WWII P-51 Ace Mr. "Bud" Anderson. I got to talk with him about flying the Mustang, and told him about my plans to fly one someday soon. He was very excited, as was I! In my opinion, this beat attending a graduation ceremony by far.



- Shortly after graduating, I dove back into my flight training. I began working towards my Instrument Rating, and am nearing my Checkride shortly! In June, I received word that I won the ADMA (Aviation Distributors & Manufacturers Association) flight training scholarship, which I had applied for over the previous winter. I am so honored to have received the award, and continue to put it to good use.

- The Summer of '15 became aptly known as the summer of the "Champ." I got checked-out in our Museum's Aeronca L-16A "Champ," a plane the was used in the Korean War for Liaison work. Not only did I earn the privilege to fly this beauty for our museum, I also got the opportunity to fly in my 1st airshow! Where else but in Geneseo, of course? Austin Wadsworth and I flew the show, what an initiation. I am forever grateful for this chance, and I will continue to fly for the museum keeping this memory in my heart.


Now I find myself in 2016, and the same plans apply. I am focused on achieving the following by the end of this "calendar year."

- Instrument Rating Completed
- Commercial Pilot's Certificate
- Certified Flight Instructor License
- Acquire L-Bird Airplane & Begin Flight Instructing
- Continue to Plan for Yak-3 Acquisition
- Re-Energize the P-51B "Lucy Gal" Project

So, once again, there you have it! I hope that your 2015 was special in every way, as well. Also, I wish you all the best for 2016. As always, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."



No comments:

Post a Comment