Friday, January 15, 2016

At IFR's Doorstep

G'Day, friends! I hope you are all enjoying this on/off winter in the Northeast (if that's where you hail from.) Otherwise, I wish you all the best as well. This "winter of mercy," as I call it, continued to gift me this week, despite a few "hiccup" days. Today, I flew with the senior instructor @ the Rochester Air Center, the legendary John Dougherty. John is the man who trained me for a majority of my Private Pilot's license. He is a very good CFI. My regular CFI, Shawn, had me fly with him today as a final check of my IFR proficiency, before the checkride. 


Things went VERY well. today. We first flew to the Geneseo VOR (GEE) and entered the holding pattern there, which then segued us into the VOR-A instrument approach for Leroy Airport (5G0.) The keys to success on a VOR-A approach are timing, and anticipation. Flying along at ~90 Knots, I had 3:02 from the GEE VOR until I reached 5G0, at which I had to be at the Minimum Descent Altitude (MDA) of 1,380' and 1 Statute Mile Visibility. For our "mock" approach, I did not see the runway, and hence, went for a missed approach. As you can see on the approach plate, that called for a left climb to 4,000' to the GEE VOR.


After arriving back at the GEE VOR, I called up KROC and asked for an ILS approach into Runway 22. An ILS is a precision approach, as opposed to the VOR-A. So, the key here is small-control inputs, and patience...ease. I did just this, all the way down the DH (Decision Height) of 760'. I then had the runway in sight (or, my foggles lifted!) The approach(es) went very well!


Once we landed and secured the plane, which today was my dear Cessna 172M N904RA, JD and I talked about my immediate future in terms of IFR. The prognosis was very good, as John felt I was ready to take my checkride. I will discuss this further with my CFI, Shawn, and we will set the wheels in motion. Just before my flight today, I completed the King Flight Schools online-prep course for the Instrument Checkride as well. I feel confident, calm, and prepared. 


So, there you have it (once again!) Until next time, as always, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

1/15 Flight Time Logged = 1.2 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 186 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 64 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment