Sunday, December 27, 2015

A Brotherly Bond

One of my favorite sayings is "nothing done for a child is ever wasted." In terms of aviation and flying, I feel this sentiment to be especially true. It is oh so important that those of us fortunate enough to be able to fly take the time to get kids interested in aviation. Just think, every time you fly, there may be a kid down there looking up, thinking "wow, I want to be a pilot!"

I am one of the lucky ones, I have my pilot's license and an awesome younger-brother to boot! Though we are 13 years apart, we are undeniably best friends. My brother David is now 11 years old. His current "dream job" is being a coder for the ever-popular game known as "Minecraft." Before this, he wanted to be a film-maker, train conductor, and army man. So, my hopes are still high for a path leading to aviation (though I love and support him no matter what!) 

David and I had previously flown together twice, that is until yesterday when we made it three. Again, this December has been a dream for those seeking to build flight time. Yesterday was decent, we just had to wait a bit for some fog to rise and ice to melt. Davy and I decided to head down to Dansville Municipal Airport (KDSV), then circle back to the Geneseo VOR for...wait for it...MORE HOLDS! Everything went according to plan. 



As you can see, the holding pattern required a bit of wind correction. Yet, my main purpose of the flight wasn't necessarily to prep for my upcoming IFR checkride. You see, just a day earlier, on Christmas, I gave my brother the gift of his first pilot's headset. Also, he received a beginner's mechanic tool set. 


I gave this gift with the full intention of getting David into aviation, and beginning the process of our aviation business. My goal, for those who don't know, is to operate my own flight school/rides business/WWII aviation museum. I plan on owning my own hangar home, out of which the outfit will operate. We will operate a Cessna 172, Piper L-4, Yakovlev Yak-3UA ("Yellow 44"), and share a P-51B Mustang "Lucy Gal." 


I want to get my brother involved in this with me, because he knows how much it all means to me. Also, he has a strong interest in flying, WWII, and aviation as a whole. He is the perfect age to get involved in aviation. After all, I was only a year older than him when I began giving tours at the National Warplane Museum.

Without a doubt, the highlight of our flight yesterday was when David flew us back all the way from the Geneseo VOR to the base-leg for Rochester Runway 7 (KROC.) Though we forgot to grab the seat cushion, he was able to successfully keep our Cessna 152 (N714WS) level and straight (with a little visual help from big bro, of course!) 


You see, folks? This is what aviation is all about, sharing. It is only fitting that our flight occured during the Holidays, a time of year that encourages the same theme of generosity. 

As always, Keep 'Em Flying, and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

No comments:

Post a Comment