Friday, January 8, 2016

Mid-Winter Day's Dream

Hello, once again, friends! 

Yesterday, I had a great opportunity to fly. I was not scheduled to work, and the weather (once again) was un-winter-like, allowing me the flexibility to fly all day. I had planned to fly to KIAG (Niagara Fall Int'l) in the late AM/early afternoon, and then fly with my CFI for IFR training after that.

For my 1st flight, I took the mighty Cessna 150L N552RA. I've flown this bird quite a bit since last summer, as the Rochester Air Center offers a fair rental price on it. It is a good plane for short cross-country flights, flying solo or with one's little brother. I departed for KIAG around Noon. I had to use a little effort to get her started, as it was cold out. This required a few shots of primer, and pumping the throttle a bit during engine cranking. After a couple of attempts, I managaed to get the 150 going strong. The flight itself was AB-FAB, smooth the whole way. However, there was quite a bit of haze, making visibility from 4,000' a bit of a chore. 

En-Route from KROC to KIAG

I arrived @ KIAG about 45 minutes after departing KROC. The ATC crew was very excited, for whatever reason, to "work me in" to KIAG, it must have been a slow traffic day! I always love when ATC guys are in a good mood. I landed @ KIAG, and planned to top-off the fuel. I have a personal rule that I ALWAYS top-off fuel after flying a C-150, and make a stop en-route (even if it's only for 45 minutes.) Why? Well, the 21 gallon tanks are 1/2 that of a Cessna 172. I just like to play it safe. 

@ KIAG, I pulled into the FBO for fuel, and they topped me off, while I sipped on some free FBO coffee. Good times! As a bonus, I got to see a Piaggio P.180 "Avanti." As seen from my Cessna 150L, perhaps one thing leads to another? I'd love to fly one, someday!


With my fuel topped-off, and caffeine needs also satiated, I attempted to re-start the 150 to depart back home to KROC. However, I encountered a problem, the battery was weak. The prop was not cranking nearly enough to create an ignition, to kick-over. This, even after adequate prime and throttle/mixture control. So, there was nothing else to do but jump the battery! A quick call home to the Air Center confirmed my necessary action. 

I had to cancel my flight with my CFI, which will instead take place later this afternoon. Meanwhile, I waited for the FBO A&P mechanic to be found for a "jump." The line-crew did not want to attempt this on their own, and I do not fault them for this one bit. Better safe than sorry! The situation wasn't all bad, as I was entertained by a Marine Sea-Stallion helicopter that "dropped in" for fuel, as well.

It dwarfs a Cessna 150, even @ 200 yards behind it!

The FBO mechanic and crew were most helpful, and I cannot thank them enough. We managed to fully charge the battery, and run the Cessna 150 up to show a good charge in the system. Shortly after, I departed back home to KROC. 


Before arriving @ KROC, I decided to do a practice-holding pattern over the Geneseo VOR, once again. This time, my inbound heading put me into position for a "teardrop" entry procedure. It went well!

I arrived @ KROC safe and sound, thankful for all those helpful people you find in aviation. Once again, as always, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

Home, safe and sound.

1/7 Flight Time Logged = 2.1 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 183.6 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 66.4 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment