Sunday, January 31, 2016

A Brotherly Bond (Part 2)

Yet again, Winter 2016 gave us a gift! Today, it got up to ~60F, with higher-clouds and moderate winds. This provided the excellent opportunity for an "unscheduled" flight. I had no planned on flying today, but the sudden showing of nice-weather prompted me to book a plane for the afternoon. I elected to take the Cessna 150L N552RA. I also elected to take along my young brother, David, once again. It was a surprise for him! He had no idea what my "evil" plan was for our outing today, until we pulled into the airport. His face instantly lit up when he knew "what was up."

For today's flight, I decided to keep it somewhat simple. I flew VFR, but practiced a VOR-A approach into Canandaigua (D38), just to keep sharp on my procedures and instrument scans (with the added visual scan, as well.) The VOR-A approach into D38 requires over-flying the Geneseo VOR (GEE) 1st, then proceeding inbound from there. I was tracking inbound on the 018 Degree Radial of the GEE VOR, so I did not need to utilize a procedure turn. However, on the missed-approach procedure (detailed later on, here), I would have to.

VOR-A Approach into D38


Our track into D38 for the VOR-A appraoch, and also the missed-approach back to GEE.

As you can see from the tracklogs, after going "missed" on the approach into D38, the procedures call for a return to the GEE VOR, and then a holding pattern there. For our return to GEE on the missed, our orientation to the VOR required us to utilize a "parellel" entry. 

Parallel-entry and hold over Geneseo VOR (GEE)

The winds were a bit "stiff" today, so my wind correction was very much trial-and-error on the holding pattern. Overall, I was happy with the result.

All the while, my little brother David was a huge help, and great co-pilot! He even got to fly us back all the way from GEE to KROC. He is the best co-pilot a guy can ask for. Flying with my brother means more to me than anything else. It is a bond stronger than anything else I know.

No worries, I used a camera mount (not a selfie! LOL)

Today was a great day. Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."


1/31 Flight Time Logged = 1.3 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 188.7 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 61.3 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment