Saturday, January 2, 2016

Sick Flow?

Attention to detail, precision, multi-tasking...these are all terms which I thought I understood the full meaning of, before I began training for my Instrument Rating. As it turns out, I hadn't even scratched the surface of these words in action. The process of becoming more precise in the cockpit has not been an easy one, it takes a lot of practice, muscle-memory. However, that being said, it is very doable.

When I refer to precision, I am talking about pushing the right buttons, at the right time, while still focusing on the instruments, approach plates, and flying the airplane. In my case, I am practicing to take my Instrument Checkride in the Cessna 172 N904RA. This is my 2nd favorite plane of the Rochester Air Centre's fleet (1st being N5270H.) 904RA is equipped with a Garmin 530 GPS/NAV/COMM system. This provides the pilot with moving map GPS, navigation, and communications (radio.) The Garmin comes in handy to Instrument pilots especially because within the GPS databases, it stores and can display instrument departures and arrivals, along with routes, etc. 

N904RA

Garmin 530 Simulator

Yesterday, I flew in the Redbird full-motion flight simulator. It's a neat contraption, and I feel that it is fairly close to accurate in terms of flying a real plane. Some aspects are quite different, however, such as inner-ear sensations. I do not feel climbs/descents the same way I do in the air. Perhaps that is just me, though. Anyways, my CFI Shawn was generous enough to take time out of his New Years Day to help hone my skills in the SIM, as we approach my imminent IFR checkride. 

Redbird Full-Motion Flight Sim

The last thing that I need to sharpen-up on before the checkride is my cockpit "flow" on instrument approaches. This is one of the most challenging aspects of flying, and as my CFI said yesterday, "this is when flying sucks." I tend to agree, at least for now! We "shot" numerous approaches into KROC, an ILS, VOR, RNAV, another ILS, another RNAV...I lost count! At first, I was so-so, very inconsistent as I juggled the following...

1.) Dial-up approach into the Garmin 530
2.) Brief the approach plate
3.) Turn to vectors from GPS for approach
4.) Maintain altitude
5.) Maintain heading
6.) FLY THE **** AIRPLANE

^^^All the above being done WHILE scanning the instruments,

When I am in the actual airplane, I feel it goes a lot smoother. However, in the sim, I felt disoriented. This is good, though, as it helps me hone my situational awareness. As we progressed, I began to "calm down" a bit, my cockpit "flow" got better, and my controls more accurate and precise. Despite a few "hiccups," I am satisfied with my progress. The most challenging part of yesterday's "flight" was the instrument-out approaches. I flew 2-3 approaches without an attitude indicator...

Attitude Indicator Failure (aka, "Well, dang!")

As I mentioned earlier, my CFI said that this is where flying becomes slightly less fun (still more fun than anything else, tho!) The first time my CFI killed the attitude indictor, I failed to realize it, and "augured in." On a precision ILS approach, with low-altitude, there is no room for error (as I learned.) After this experience, I began to remember my instrument-out training. I kept and eye on the altimeter, heading indicator, and VSI (vertical-speed indicator) trend. This kept me from making the same mistake again.

Overall, the main takeaway from yesterday's "flight" is that I need to continue to perfect my cockpit flow, as well as GPS utilization. Furthermore, studying up on my instrument-out procedures would be a smart move, as well. So, "nothing to it but to do it!" I will continue to use my Garmin GPS simulator on my laptop, as to avoid confusion and pushing wrong buttons. I will use the emerging-in-popularity method of "visualization" to sharpen my cockpit flow. Lastly, I will memorize instrument-out procedures and try to apply them in hypothetical situations.

So, there you have it! Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

No comments:

Post a Comment