Monday, October 31, 2016

"Tell Me a Story"

A few times on this blog, in posts past, I have reflected on the "little things" that got me where I am today. For me, growing up, this big things that guided me were the Naitonal Warplane Museum, airplane toys, and books. I have shared with you a few stories about each of these things, so I will continue to do just that!

For this "reflection," I want to focus on a book that really "grabbed" me, as a toddler. The Concise Illustrated Book of: Fighters of World War II, by D. Avery.


I believe this book was purchased from Vick's Department Store, back when it used to exist, in Henrietta, NY. My earliest memories of taking-in this "story" are from living in the apartment in Hunter Hall, probably around age 3-4. I would "curl up" with mom in the ultra-cozy papasan chair, sipping on milk from my aquarium cup. We'd go over each WWII fighter-plane, page-by-page. Some nights, it'd be dad on reading-duty. In addition to serenading me with "Nothing Else Matters," by Metallica as my bedtime song, he'd give me the faq's of each of these fine birds. Such good memories. 

Picture, proof-positive, my mum and I...

Mine was kinda like this!

Best bedtime song ever, when preceded by my fav book...

In time, I would learn to read for myself, and I then read Fighters of World War II to my parents (and anyone else who would listen!) It was the first book I read cover-to-cover by myself, after Go Dog Go!

Wonder why I plan on owning/operating one of my own, one day soon? Not a coincidence, rather fate...

Same here

The Warplane Museum was home to a P-40E when I was a lad, so another fav

So, there you have it (once again.) Thanks to awesome, loving parents (and extended family) who took the time to read to me, I am well established on my pro-pilot journey. Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

No comments:

Post a Comment