Sunday, November 6, 2016

11/6 - CPL Training Update

Happy November, friends, family, and followers! I hope this new month brings you great success in your personal goals and endeavours. It's been a struggle for me, up until the last few days, to get up to fly. The weather here in WNY had not been agreeable, up until this past Friday. Luckily, we caught a break! Here's the "rundown" of what I've been up to...

Friday 11/4:
This was the 1st time, since Mid-October, that I had been able to practice my commercial maneuvers in an actual airplane. I had a feeling that it was going to be a bit "rusty," and despite trying to avoid this, the rust still showed through. However, I was able to improve as the lesson progressed.

Commercial Training Flight PCAI: 11/4

PROS
> Chandelles went well, my practice in the flight-sim (as seen in earlier posts here) paid off.
> 8s-on-Pylons started out rough, but improved as I got the "feel" for them.

CONS
> Stalls were not "smooth." I was overthinking the recovery procedures, mostly because I am still somewhat "new" to the Arrow. I was able to squeak out a good power-off stall towards the end, however.
> Details! I seemed to miss the "nitty-gritty" things, because of the rust. Things like after-takeoff departure checklists, power/prop control, and wind corrections.

ACTIONS/IMPROVEMENTS
> "Chair-Fly" the Arrow, and practice cockpit flows/checklists.
> SIM, aka the flight simulator. Keep practicing commercial maneuvers.
> BREATHE! Don't forget, you're only human...have fun and relax!

Saturday 11/5:
Friday's lesson effectively "knocked the dust off," and Saturday's flight was much better. The night before, I did some "chair flying" and visualization. I read over my flows/checklists, and pretended and though I was in the cockpit, flying the maneuvers. This really helped me out, as usually does. I was bound and determined to be better.

Commercial Training Flight PCAI: 11/5

PROS
> I walked into the air centre with that "swagger" I mentioned in an earlier post, akin to what a professional airline pilot. Not "cocky," but confident...prepared...relaxed. I used my flows in the Arrow, just like the "big-boys" do in their 737s. Why? Because it has been proven to work. For me, when I am able to slow-down and be a "pro," I am a better pilot.
> I stayed "on-top" of the details, which I missed the previous day. I was diligent on trim/prop/power settings before entering my maneuvers, this was the key! I flew much better because my setups were better! My 8s-on-Pylons were consistent, and the steep-turns were smooth (video proof below!)

8s-on-Pylons

Steep-Turns

Commercial Training Flight Summary: 11/5

"8s-on-Pylons" & Steep Turns: 11/5

CONS
> Really not too much to self-reflect on, except that I am still trying to perfect my soft-field landings in the Arrow. I will get it down, eventually! Just takes practice.

ACTIONS/IMPROVEMENT
> Continue "chair-flying," flows/checklists/flight sim.
> Practice more performance takeoffs/landings (soft-field.)
> Study "Lazy-8s" maneuver, for next lesson.

Sunday 11/6:
Running off the positive energy from Saturday's flight, I was determined to continue my "mojo." With instructors busy all day, I invited my good pilot pal Charlie to join along. He is quite proficient in the Arrow (as well as the Seneca, as seen in earlier posts here.) He is a commercial pilot, and knows how to execute the maneuvers. A perfect passenger for this flight!

Commercial Training Flight PCAI: 11/6

Commercial Training Flight Summary: 11/6

"8s-on-Pylons" & Chandelles: 11/6

PROS
> Slow-flight maneuver went smoothly, the magic was, as-always, in the setup!
> I did good on the power-off stall, straight from slow-flight.
> Chandelles are "getting there." I executed the maneuver well, but still need a tad more pitch-up towards the end of the maneuver, to reach minimum-controllable airspeed.
> 8s-on-Pylons were very good, I am really getting accustomed to them.
> Landing was good, I attempted a "spot" landing, on the touchdown-aiming-point, and hit it!

CONS
> My attempt at a successful power-on stall came up short. I feel like this is due to the fact that the Arrow is higher-powered than the Cessna 172 I am used to stalling. There needs to be a lot of back-pressure on the yoke, and I was afraid of doing a "hammer-head." Charlie demonstrated a correct power-on stall to me, and I can say that I have a ways to go. I just need to overcome the fear in my head. It will quell, soon!
> My steep-spiral really needs some work. I think that I am missing something critical about successfully executing the maneuver, but unsure just what the trick is. I will continue to study it, and ask around. I have trouble holding the 45 degrees of bank constant, while keeping my emergency landing spot in range. I'll keep at it.

ACTIONS/IMPROVEMENT
> I will continue to focus on quelling my fear of flipping the Arrow during a power-on stall. I know that, soon enough, this action will be commonplace to me.
> Steep-spirals will be a focus of mine, this week. I will watch/read more about them, and try some in the simulator as well.

The Arrow handles my flying quite well! A match made in (the) heaven(s.)

Cool! But, what does it all mean?
Okay, so I just threw a lot of knowledge at ya. But, 8s-on-Pylons? Steep-Spirals? Chandelles? What are these? Well, look no further! FYI...

Whew! Well, I hope all that helps! As always, I thank you for your continued support. Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

No comments:

Post a Comment