Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Journey Continues

Hello, friends and fam! Having a good weekend? I sure hope so, wherever you are and whatever you are doing. This past week, I continued to "do my thing" and fly. It all started on Tuesday...

Tuesday 10/4


While I was busy at work, I received a pleasant text message from my pilot-buddy Charlie H. He informed me that he wanted to fly the twin-engined Seneca, that night, and wondered if I'd be interested in tagging along. Of course, I said "yes!" So, shortly after work ended, I made my way up to RAC to meet him.



Seneca @ sunset...

Charlie wanted to fly that night to maintain pilot night-flight currency. We flew out to Oswego Airport (KFZY) for the 3 takeoff and landings required for that regulation. The night was perfectly smooth, and we had a great time. On the way back, I even got to play with the controls a bit. What a fine-flying machine, I can't wait to get more time in it, someday.



Syracuse @ night, from the Seneca


Summary of our Seneca flight (KROC>>KFZY>>>KROC)


Pretty good speed, eh?

Seneca home, after curfew... ;-)

Thanks again, Charlie! I had a lot of fun.

Thursday 10/6

Earlier in the week, I had been talking/planning with my other pilot-pal Matt S. about flying in the Piper PA28-200R Arrow. Matt and I are both at the same stage in our Commercial Pilot training, so splitting time and flying together make a lot of sense. We planned to fly Thursday night, with me as "safety pilot." So, we did just that! Matt planned to fly to Batavia (KGVQ), then Niagara (KIAG), and finally land back home @ KROC. Everything went according to plan, and it whet my appetite to get endorsed/"checked out" in the Arrow even more. Nice flying, Matt!

Matt "at the helm"

KIAG>>>KROC


10/6 Flight Summary: KROC>>>KIAG>>>KROC

Great night for a flight...

Saturday 10/8

Yesterday, I had quite the progressive afternoon. My CFI, Scott, and I had planned to fly the Arrow a bit to get me more comfortable. Flying a complex airplane requires a lot stronger use of cockpit-flows, so that the pilot doesn't miss anything. For me, this has taken some getting used to, as there is a lot going on all at once in that cockpit.

Yesterday began less-than-stellar weather wise, with low clouds and precipitation. I carefully watched the radar and reports in the hours leading up to my lesson, texting with Scott during the process to coordinate ETD. We had initially planned for 2:00, but pushed back to 2;30. When we both arrived at KROC, the weather was slightly improving, as the clouds lifted and precip stopped. We opted to wait a tad longer, as the forecast showed signs of even more improvement, and review the questions I missed on the Commercial Written Exam. 

After about an hour of review, we headed out to the Arrow to do some pattern-work, "touch and goes." Thanks to the wonderful help and advice from my fellow Arrow pilots (you know who you are!), I was able to really improve on my Arrow flying and landing skills! Scott put me through my paces, having me land short-field, soft-field, power-off 180, you name it. We did a total of 12 takeoffs/landings. Much to my surprise, at the end of the lesson, I received my Complex Aircraft Endorsement in my Logbook! Thank you all so much, again, for the help and advice. I owe you so much!

My takeoff and climb in pattern, Piper PA28-200R Arrow

Me landing the Arrow...

This week ahead, I plan to begin training on my Commercial Pilot Maneuvers (Lazy-Eights, Chandelles, Eights-on-Pylons, etc.) So, stay tuned! Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."


No comments:

Post a Comment