Sunday, October 16, 2016

10/14 - CPL Training Update

Hello folks! Happy weekend to y'all. Hard to believe that we're already well into October already. I had a good flight lesson, yesterday, focusing on commercial pilot maneuvers for the 1st time. Flying the Piper PA28-200R Arrow, I was introduced to some "new to me" methods of airmanship...

Commercial Pilot Flight Lesson Summary: 10/14

1.) Slow-Flight: This is a principle taught form the beginning of a pilot's training, as it is critical to understanding how to "stay ahead of the airplane." You really get a feel for the airplane in slow-flight configuration. Here's some more info about the maneuver, in general (http://www.firstflight.com/private-pilot-course/slow-flight-stalls-and-steep-turns/).

Flying the Arrow, for commercial training purposes, requires slow-flight to be demonstrated on the checkride. The Arrow is a nose-heavy airplane, and the complex equipment makes slow-flight a bit different. To get in the slow-flight configuration, I had to 1st slow the Arrow down to landing-gear extension speed, amd extend the gear. From there, I incrementally added in flaps, to increase lift and maintain altitude. From here, I adjust trim and power to maintain my altitude. I was surprised at, despite how heavy the Arrow is, how responsive and controllable it was in the slow-flight configuration.

2.) Steep(er) Turns: Another "holdover" from private pilot training, these turns are made at a bank angle of 50* on the CPL checkride, as opposed to the 45* on the PPL. See the above link for more details on steep-turns, but the trick is to maintain altitude despite increasing bank angle. You see, when an airplane's bank is increased, the horizontal component of lift increased, but the vertical component decreases, leading to a decrease in altitude (if corrective actions are not made by the pilot.) Here's some GoPro vid of my attempt at CPL steep turns, yesterday!



3.) Stalls: Yet again, power-off and power-on stalls are taught in both PPL and CPL training. The standards are the same, but with the Arrow being a complex-aircraft, the setup and recovery for stalls is a tad different. To setup for a power-off stall, I put the Arrow again into the slow-flight configuration. From here, I applied back pressure on the yoke until reaching stall-stall. Once the stall is induced, recovery is nose-down and power-full to build airspeed. Next, attain positive-rate of climb, and raise landing gear/incrementally raise flaps.

Power-on stalls require the Arrow to be in "clean" configuration, no flaps or landing gear. Here, I slow-down to maneuvering speed, raise the nose, and then apply full-power. I hold back-pressure on the yoke until airspeed bleeds off, and the stall is induced. Once stalled, recovery is nose-down for airspeed, then raise nose up to attain positive rate of climb.

4.) Steep-Spiral: This maneuver is unique to commercial pilot training, and involves "a continuous gliding turn around a point. The steep spiral maneuver consists of at least 3 gliding 360° turns around a point with a maximum bank angle of 50° to 55° and recovery toward a definite object or on a specific heading." (according the ATP flight schools, per FAA PTS.) The point of a steep spiral is to prove you can control the airplane's drift over the ground, along with controlling you airspeed and bank in a constant-rate descent. For example, an engine failure, or a need to descend below a cloud layer.

The Steep-Spiral Maneuver

In the case of our flight lesson, it was a scatterred-cloud kinda day. So, after we had gained altitude to execute the stalls, we opted to use a steep-spiral maneuver to descend through the gaps in the scattered layers. The spirals are made @ 60* of bank, 10 more than steep-turns. The maneuver itself was relatively straightforward for me, it just involves a constant cross-check of your instruments along with the horizon (much like the steep-turns.) The only difference is, it's okay if your altitude decreases, that's the whole point (so long a it's @ a controlled/constant rate!) I successfully put us below the scattered cloud layer.

Eval & Reflections: "PCAI"

As they say "a good pilot is always learning!" This is very true, especially when training on the commercial ticket. I try not to be too hard on myself after a lesson, but I do like to self-eval and reflect on what I did/where I can improve (and how I can do it!) I recently drafted-up a nifty thing I call the "PCAI" self-eval tool (Pros-Cons-Actions-Improvements.) Here's my 1st "go" at using it...


PROS:
  • Slowed "It All" Down - A holdover from my Instrument training. I often find that when I am learning new things, and trying to apply them, I tend to "rush" myself. This is easily remedied my remembering to breathe and slow-down. Thanks to my CFI for reinforcing this! The Arrow is indeed a complex-airplane, but it's complexity is made simple when I slow myself down.
  • Prepared & Calm - Again, riding of the point made above, I arrived at the air centre feeling calm already, and I did so by being super-prepared. Now, I am always ready for a flight lesson, yet I am finding with CPL training, you need to take a few extra steps to attain being "double-secret prepared." 

          For me, I find that being "double-secret prepared" involves not only preflight, weather, etc., but           also "flows." As I mentioned in earlier posts, flows help a pilot to know the cockpit like the                 "back of their hand." For complex aircraft, ala the Arrow, flows are a great way to make flying           them more simplified/streamlined.
  • Acted Like CPL - I decided, when I started my CPL training, that I wanted to become even more precise and professional. So, I face every flight, training or not, as though I am an airline pilot, carrying precious lives and cargo for hire. To me, this involves (again) flows, double-checking on things (like preflight), and even walking around the plane with a certain gait. Not trying to be pretentious, but rather "act the part" which keeps countless flights on time, and lives safe each and every day.
  • Steep Turns @ 50* - My steep turns went very well, I lost/gained hardly any altitude in them. I was very happy. I owe my success on these turns to my good warbird-pilot-mentor friend Doug Rozendaal. Wayyy back when I started my Private Pilot training, I was having trouble with the steep turns. I seeked Doug out, asking for his advice. His tips from back in 2009 still help me today! The trick? Initially, add just a *nudge* of power, before entering the bank, and immediately add in the back-pressure on the yoke. From there, watch the horizon, and cross-check with the attitude indicator and altimeter. Works every time!
CONS:
  • Stalls (Recovery) - I mentioned above the process for stall recovery in a complex-airplane. I was able to "get this down" after a few attempts, but really struggled at first. The reason for this is that the Arrow is a *little* different to recover with, because of the landing gear and mechanical flaps. All I have to do is remember the process I wrote about above, the rest will follow (aka, the "KISS" method.)
  • Prop/Throttle Controlling - I did fine with this during my complex checkout, yet I had a lapse when flying during this past lesson. It is a foreign concept to me, still, as all my flying (up to recently) has been with fixed-pitch props. I was making the mistake of thinking prop controlled the manifold pressure, and throttle controlled rpm (like with fixed pitch), old habits die hard! Regardless, it is the other way round. Also, there are recommended power settings for each phase of flight in the Arrow. All I have to do is stick with these settings, and remember that throttle = manifold pressure and prop = rpm. Furthermore, I must recall that to reduce power, 1st throttle, then prop, to increase power...prop then throttle.

Actions/Improvements:
  • Study Prop/Throttle Ops
  • Practice Flows/Print Out Arrow Flow-Checklists
  • Review Other CPL Maneuvers
  • Breathe!
1st thing I see, every morning...

Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

No comments:

Post a Comment