Monday, July 4, 2016

Free to Fly

      Greetings, comrades! Happy (belated) Canada Day, to my friends up North, and Happy 4th to all of those here in the US of A. What a beautiful week/weekend it has been for celebration! One of the great benefits of both Canada and the US is, our freedom allows us to commit aviation. I have done just that...

7/2/16:

      This past Saturday, I flew the Cessna 172 from Rochester to the Chautaqua region, to pick-up my friend Jim N. A fellow pilot, Jim wanted to ride along with me back to Lakeville, where his plane was hangared. This would allow him to fly his own plane back to it's new home. Initially, we had planned for me to pick Jim up at Dart Airfield (D79.) A unique place, Dart is a grass-strip airfield with 2 runways. The airport is home to a small museum, glider school, and parachutists. Also, they host antique shows often. The two runways measure 1,840' and 2,750'. Knowing that I would need more space to land, I planned to land on runway 13/31, the longer of the two.


7/2/16 Flight Summary: KROC>>>D79
1.) Depart Rochester (KROC)
2.) Arrive Dart Airfield (D79)

      Saturday was windy, making the flight down to Chautaqua rather bumpy. Also, the headwind limited my groundspeed to about 90 KTS (usually fly around 100-110.) Despite this, the flight was fun the whole way! It was a beautiful day, besides the winds.

      Once I did arrive at Dart Airfield, I saw something that made me, well, think. I could spot Runway 13/31, yet it appeared to be torn-up to dirt with "X's" on it. I had checked the NOTAMs and AF/D prior to making my departure, and nothing indicated that this Runway would be, or should be, closed. I decided to proceed inbound for Runway 6/24, and executed a "low approach" to see if it would be adequate enough for me to land and (most importantly) take-off from! After making my approach, I concluded that I was not comfortable with it at all. So, I proceeded onward to my alternate airport, Chautaqua County/Jamestown Airport. 




7/2/16 Flight Summary: D79>>>KJHW
3.) Overfly D79 (Dart Airfield), execute low approach = NO GO
4.) Divert to, and land @ Chautaqua Co./Jamestown Airport (KJHW)

      After I landed at the more than adequate runways of Jamestown, I was met by a friendly FBO attendant. I explained to him my need to borrow the "crew car" to pick up my friend Jim, who was still waiting for me over at Dart. He was most helpful, and moments later I was driving a "Swagger Van" to pick up my buddy!

An awesome, silver, Chrysler T&C. Be jealous.

      A short time later, I met Jim at Dart. He showed me around the airfield a bit, and I was really taken by it all. I will have to make a return visit one-day-soon, when I have more time to linger. After a quick lunch, we headed back to Jamestown Airport. When we arrived, we were met by Jim's friend. I agreed to fly her back with us, so that she too could ride back in Jim's Aeronca 7AC "Champ." It was a nice logistical coincidence. I was sure to thank the FBO attendant before we left, and a short time later, we were airbourne once again. 

7/2/16 Flight Summary: KJHW>>>NY15
1.) Depart Jamestown (KJHW)
2.) Arrive Lakeville Airfield (NY15)

      The flight back was much smoother, and faster! I had a groundspeed of ~106-110 KTS, and we arrived in Lakeville about 45 minutes after takeoff from Jamestown. Believe it or not, for all the time I've flown in the area, I had never previously flown into Lakeville. It, like Geneseo, is a grass-strip. It is 2,800' long, plenty long enough. The approach and landing was a challenge, as I had a stiff-crosswind coupled with a narrow-strip to land on. However, I was able to "set her down," and landed just fine. I helped Jim push his plane out, and shortly after, he and his friend were airbourne in the "Champ," en route back to Dart Airfield. I departed NY15 right after them, and landed @ KROC about 15 minutes later. The trip was a success!

7/3/16:

      Yesterday, I filled-in on the front desk for the Air Center (where I flight train.) The day was plenty busy, and I had some great networking/convo with my fellow avgeeks as well (more details to come, shortly!) At the end of the day, I got to stick around and watch an early arrival to our Geneseo Airshow. The MiG-17PF came in early, for next weekend's show. Flown by the apt-aviator Randy Ball, this very same MiG-17PF once sat in our hangar, in Geneseo. Owned by Jon Blanchette, the MiG eventually was moved to Elmira, NY, where she was restoresd (and is currently based.) 

      I was reunited with the MiG yesterday, it was the first time I had seen it since it was in pieces in our hangar! What a cool experience...

Reunited!


      The MiG will be "staging" out of KROC (Rochester) for our airshow, in Geneseo, because it cannot land on grass. I encourage you to attend our show this year, more info here! (http://nwmairshow.com/) It is this coming weekend, July 8 (arrival day), 9, and 10.

7/4/16:

      This morning, my friend Don H. and I celebrated our freedom to fly! We took our museum's Piper J-5A "Cruiser" on a hop around the Finger Lakes. This was my 1st time in the Cub, and I loved the time I had flying it. Thanks again for asking me along, Don! It's a bit faster than the L-16.

7/4/16 Flight Summary (J-5A)

Me at the controls, from the back!


'Merica

      Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

FAA Instrument Rating Checkride = Super Double-Secret Date
7/2-7/4 Flight Time Logged = 5.6 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 234
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 16 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment