Monday, July 25, 2016

Commercial/Flight Instructor Training: Flight #1

      Hey gang! Happy new-week to you all. Hope Monday was "easy" on you. This past weekend, I really focused hard on the beginnings of my Commercial & Flight Instructor training. 

      I started by "hitting the books," preparing for the Commercial Written Exam. For this, I am using ASA's "Prepware" App, along with Gleim's online ground school course. As of today, I have the 1st 4 chapters complete.

      On Friday, I met with my CFI (Scott B.) to formulate the "action plan" for my training. We decided that it makes sense to tackle both the Commercial & CFI (Flight Instructor) at the same time. There are no additional flight-time requirements for a CFI, just a couple really tough written, oral, and flight tests. Our plan is to essentially "split" each training session into 50% Commercial, and 50% CFI work. I was (and still am) very agreeable to this plan!

      This past Sunday, Scott and I began on my Comm/CFI flight training. We knocked-out the 1st of 3 cross-country flights (100 NM length, 2 Hrs duration), by flying to Griffiss International Airport (KRME.) The flight went smoothly, even though I was a but nervous to be starting a new training endeavour. For me, when I get nervous, I tend to rush. This leads to little mistakes. So, my solution? Breathe. I just have to remember this from now on. In fact, I am adding it to my personal/custom checklist!

Our "steed" for the day, N998RA

7/24/16 Flight Summary: KROC>>>KRME

      Once we arrived @ KRME, we stopped at the beautiful FBO, there. Million Air, a 1st class Fixed-Base Operator, provided us with fuel, refreshments, and a free rental car. We took the car into town (passing the ultra-cool B-52 on display while en-route), and drove-thru McD's to grab lunch. What fun! :-) You may be wondering, why is a B-52 on display at KRME? Well, the airport used to be an Air Force Base, Griffiss AFB to be exact. From here, the mighty B-52 flew for many years, along with other unique aircraft (like the SR-71 Blackbird!) The base was retired from service in 1995, and since then, it has served as a General Aviation airport. Since the huge 11,821' runway still remains, KRME is a hub for airline companies to get there planes serviced & re-painted (such as the monster 747.)


The B-52 @ KRME

      Scott and I ate our lunch, and then bid farewell to the friendly Million Air crew. As we walked out to the plane, Scott informed me that I would be CFI on the way home, flying from the right seat! I was psyched. As we "mounted" up, I began to get a feel for what it's like to control the plane "wrong-handed." It took a little getting used to, and as per usual, I began to "rush" in my uncomfortable position. Yet, as I throttled up and took-off, I began to really get comfortable in my new throne. From here, the flight back to KROC went great!

7/24/16 Flight Summary: KROC>>>KRME

      As we neared KROC, I began to think about the landing. This was somthing I had always wondered about, "what is it like to land from the right seat?" It's not something I've been anxious about, just curious. Well, apparently it's no different, because I nailed the landing! I was very happy, tho it may have just been beginner's luck. ;-) We shall see! Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

7/24 Flight Time Logged = 2.6 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 239.7
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 10.3 Hrs

2 comments:

  1. I really liked as a part of the article. With a nice and interesting topics. Visit: Flight Instructor Training

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here. Visit: Flight Instructor Training

    ReplyDelete