Monday, June 27, 2016

Mid-June Flying Update

G'day, friends, family, and followers! What an exciting last week I have had, in terms of flying opportunities. I've been very fortunate, between having great weather and generous friends. The last few days have been great for my professional/warbird pilot journey. Here's a summary of what I've been up to...

Friday - 6/24/16

      On my day off, I elected to take the L-16 up on a local flight. I wanted to build more time in the "Warbug," for future warbird flying, and also build up my total-time towards my Commercial license. I invited my friend, and fellow museum volunteer, Don K. to tag along for the ride. He accepted, and we had a great time!

L-16 Flight Summary - 6/24/16
1.) Depart Geneseo (D52)
2.) Fly over my house in Avon
3.) Fly over Bedson's Land Base Airport (N. Avon)
4.) Fly along Conesus Lake and over Conesus Inlet
5.) Return & land @ D52

      The flight went smooth, and was fun all the way. Don was a great passenger, and a great help to me before/during/after the flight. Thanks again for going with me, buddy!

Saturday - 6/25/16

      On Saturday, I had agreed to assist my friends, Bob & Barb, with their "big move." Fellow museum members, and longtime volunteers, they are moving to a new location and needed help "purging" their aircraft/model-making magazine collection. They've lived nearby me for years now, operating their own small airfield (Bedson Land Base Airport, mentioned above.) I've helped upkeep this aerodrome for the last couple of years. Sad to see it "go," but glad that my friends are getting the home they need!

I am fortunate enough to have another friend, Pete, who was interested in a majority of the publications. We met around noon, and got a good amount cleared out. Thanks again, Pete! There is still a good amount remaining, so let me know if interested! (Air Classics, Sea Classics, Combat Aircraft mostly.)

Sunday - 6/26/16

      On this day, I planned to fly with a good friend (who shall remain anonymous!) up to Ledgedale Airport (Brockport, NY.) They hosted the EAA's Ford "Tri-Motor" this past week, and sold rides in it. I wanted to fly up in the L-16 just to see it for myself, so fly up we did.

L-16 Flight Summary - 6/26/16
1.) Depart Geneseo (D52)
2.) Arrive Ledgedale (7G0)

Sittin' pretty in Brockport

We were greeted by this beautiful N2S (Stearman)

      Much to my surprise, my "anonymous" passenger treated me to a flight in the co-pilot's seat of the Tri-Motor! Needless to say, I was shocked and very excited. What a generous thing to do! Of course, flying in the co-pilot's seat meant that I got to actually fly the thing. I introduced myself to the pilot as I entered the "throne," and pointed out my "steed" on the ramp, the L-16. He was interested in the bird, as he is restoring one himself! Knowing I was also a pilot, he agreed to let me handle the controls in flight, and even entered my flight time in my logbook (for good measure.)

      Flying the Tri-Motor is an awesome experience. The PIC relayed to me that it takes a lot of control input, even to keep her straight and level. He was correct, as I would soon learn! She's heavy on the controls, but a great flying machine nonetheless. My 1st .3 Hours of Multi-Engine time was a success!

Thanks for the pix, Steve!


My view from the co-pilot seat




Happy me!


      The flight was just awesome. I cannot thank my "anonymous" friend enough. Shortly after my flight, we headed home in the L-16 to D52.

L-16 Flight Summary - 6/26/16
3.) Depart Ledgedale (7G0)
4.) Arrive Geneseo (D52)

      What a weekend it was! As I mentioned, I am truly blessed to have such great people and opportunities in my life. Thank you, all! Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

FAA Instrument Rating Checkride = Super Double-Secret Date
6/24-6/26 Flight Time Logged = 2.5 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 228.4 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 21.6 Hrs

1 comment: