Sunday, April 17, 2016

Paying "It" Back

Happy new week, everyone! Here's hoping that your dreams and goals see progress this week. All it takes is a single step, remember that.

This past weekend ended on a very high note for me, and my grandfather Fred Parker as well. For the 1st time since earning my Private Pilot's license, the "stars aligned" and allowed us to fly together. This was a very special and meaningful occasion for me (& for him too!) You see, my Grandpa and Grandma Parker have always been highly supportive of my pilot journey dreams and goals. As a little toddler, up until I was old enough to drive myself, they would take me on countless trips to the National Warplane Museum, for visits or to drop me off as a volunteer. Furthermore, their support and contributions towards my flight training itself have been essential to my success. The least I could do was to get some "Pay-back."

Flight Summary KROC>>>KITH - 4/17/16
1.) Depart KROC
2.) Arrive KITH

For our flight, I planned to take Grandpa down to Ithaca-Tompkins Regional Airport for a cup of coffee. Taughannock Aviation, the FBO @ KITH, has fabulous java-juice. Both my G'Pa and I are coffee connoisseurs, so I figured this was a must. For a little more background, Ithaca holds a special place in my Grandfather's heart. He attended his 1st 2 years of college @ Cornell, and also taught there some time later. He has strong "Big Red" pride. 

That "Parker" Smile...

On our way to and from KITH, we overflew the old Seneca Army Depot, a subject of both our fascinations. We even saw a few of the albino deer, ambling about. On the way back to KROC, we also overflew Grandpa and Grandma's house in Geneseo, where we waved to G'Ma as we circled above. Grandpa had a marvelous flight, and was glowing the whole time! Grandma was thrilled as well (she's next on the "to-fly" list.)

Flight Summary KITH>>>KROC - 4/17/16
1.) Depart KITH
2.) Overfly Seneca Army Depot
3.) Circle Over Grandparent's House in Geneseo
2.) Arrive KROC & Land



As if flying my Grandfather for the 1st time wasn't a highlight enough, on the way back home to KROC from Geneseo, something truly amazing happened to me. I was cruising along at about 2,500', when all of a sudden a flash of brown and white caught the corner of my eye. I look off my left wingtip, and what do I see? Well, none other than my favorite animal, the Bald Eagle. Right there he was, cruising alongside me, trying to keep up. I'm not sure what this symbol/omen means for me, but I feel that it is something special. I will continue to pursue my goals and dreams, keeping this experience in mind.

Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

FAA Instrument Rating Checkride = Thursday 4/21
4/17 Flight Time Logged = 2.2 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 208 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 42 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment