Saturday, April 2, 2016

No Fooling(?)

Hello friends! What an "interesting" past few days these have been, at least for us here in Western NY. Last Sunday, we got a beautiful Easter gift of 70 degree weather with sun. The warmth stayed with us, despite some strong winds here and there. Well, today it seems that Mother Nature was only playing a cruel April Fools' day prank. The temps have dipped back into the 30s, wind stayed around, and we have been all-but-promised 3-6" of snow by Tuesday AM. Ain't it grand?

In terms of my Instrument Rating Checkride, as you can imagine, this weather complicates things exponentially. As you know, I was supposed to take my test this past Thursday. However, clouds proved to be too low, along with rain. So, no flying on that day. As a plus, I did get a sweet root-canal that day! Don't you just love alternate plans? At least my dentist loves to talk airplanes and flying, so it always goes by fast.


That face that says "I should be in a cockpit, right now..."

All in all, I won't complain! This constant being "on-guard" for my flight test has done just that, kept me ready to take the ride at any time. So, even when I'm sitting in the dentist's chair, I am thinking about situations that could arise during the flight, visualization. The same is true for when I am at work, or driving, or well...doing whatever! In the back of my mind, I am always thinking about flying. 

Today, I was scheduled to begin flying the Cessna 182 (C182) with one of my CFIs, John. The weather, as noted, was not conducive to flying today, so we at least talked about flying the "Skylane." The C182 is much like the C172, except heavier, faster, and has a longer range. A "High-Power" endorsement is required from a CFI to be able to fly the 182, because it has over 200hp. I am excited about flying the Skylane, because not only is it a step into higher-powered airplane flying, but also possesses a few complex aircraft toys as well. Cowl flaps, variable-pitch (constant-speed) propeller, both features seen in the warbirds that I covet flying such as the Yak-3UA, P-51, C-47, B-17, C-45, etc. In a small way, it is kind of exciting for me!


At least I got the checklist, today!


The RAC's C182 N922RA, which I plan to fly

Cessna 172 vs. Cessna 182: http://www.golfhotelwhiskey.com/the-cessna-182-vs-the-cessna-172/

Cowl Flaps Info: http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/3523/what-are-cowl-flaps

Constant-Speed Prop Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-speed_propeller

Though Thursday and today were a "wash" (literally), I remain optimistic and excited about not only the checkride, but also all of the other great flying ops upcoming. Flying the C182, building time towards the Commercial License, and flying the L-16 for the NWM all top my list. Let's do this!

Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

No comments:

Post a Comment