Saturday, April 16, 2016

Lots Going On!

Happy Weekend! All I can say is, finally, it looks like spring is here to stay in WNY. This past Wednesday, I made more progress towards both my Instrument Rating Flight Test, and Commercial Pilot License. It was a beautiful day, and the weather has stayed that way since. Today was much the same, and I just flew twice!

Wednesday, I was fortunate to have a day off of work. I took advantage of this by flying the Air Center's Cessna 150L (N552RA.) I've flown this plane quite a bit since last summer, while I build time towards my Commercial license. I flew VFR, but practiced another no-gyro VOR-A instrument approach into D38. Basically, flying this approach VFR is like IFR, only you add the outside picture into your scan. :-)

Flight Summary (N552RA) - 4/13/16
1.) Depart KROC and fly to Geneseo VOR (GEE) to initiate VOR approach into D38
2.) VOR-A approach into D38 & missed approach procedure
3.) DME Arc and flyover of D52 (Geneseo Airport)
4.) Flyover home and circle
5.) Return to KROC & land

No-Gyro VOR-A Approach - D38
1.) Arrive @ GEE VOR & overfly (no procedure turn required), turn to final approach course
2.) Maintain final approach course, fly to minimums
3.) Initiate missed approach procedure/climbing turn, return to GEE VOR
4.) Return to GEE VOR, enter prescribed holding pattern
5.) Flew an DME "for fun," maintaining 3 miles from GEE VOR

The more I practice these no-gyro VOR approaches, the more I have become comfortable with the procedure. Whether it be in the flight sim, VFR, or flying "under the hood," I really feel confident in my ability to execute one, now. Overall, I was very happy with the flight.

Fast-forward to today. I had a unique opportunity to "trade-up" this AM. I was initially scheduled to fly a Cessna 172 for a bit more solo IFR practice and CPL time-building. However, once I arrived at the Air Center, I was informed that John D. had an opening, and the Cessna 182 was "free" as well. I jumped at the chance, and before I knew it, I was pre-flighting the C182! As I mentioned in an earlier post, the C182 requires a CFI "check-out" because it is high-powered (over 200HP.) Also, it has a constant-speed prop, which requires additional training as well. The significance of earning a high-power/complex endorsement, for me, is that it is yet another "foray" into flying WWII Fighters.

C182 Flight Summary (N922RA) - 4/16/16
1.) Touch & Goes
2.) That's It!

John and I stayed "in the pattern" @ KROC, doing touch and goes. This allowed me to get a feel for the plane's characteristics. In addition to having an additional few knobs and levers to remember to manipulate (cowl flaps, prop speed), the C182 is very nose-heavy. So, unlike the C172, when you pull the power back, the C182 wants to sink and not float. We did a few different types of approach-to-landings, and I was able to handle them all. We will fly once more, doing some basic maneuvers (steep turns, etc.), and then I will have earned my high-power endorsement.

After we landed, I took a bit of a breather/coffee pause, and then headed back out to fly the C150 once again. And, like on Wednesday, yet again I flew a VFR no-gyro approach. This time, I opted to fly the VOR-A into KGVQ (Batavia.) I cannot stress enough how much flying these, even when under VFR, helps me out. I do everything exactly the same as when IFR (timed-turns, etc.) only I add the outside picture into my scan. In a funny way, it's actually a bit more complicated than just flying IFR (I suppose.) 

No-Gyro VOR-A Approach - KGVQ
1.) Arrive @ GEE VOR & enter procedure turn (parallel hold entry), intercept final approach course
2.) Maintain final approach course, fly to minimums
3.) Initiate missed approach procedure/climbing turn, return to LENER
4.) Parallel entry & holding pattern @ LENER

Again, I was pleased with the results. And now, I get to fly again tomorrow with my good museum friend Naomi. She will serve as my "safety pilot," while I fly "under the hood" one last time, before my IFR checkride on Thursday! As always, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

FAA Instrument Rating Checkride = 4/21-4/22
4/13 & 4/16 Flight Time Logged = 4 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 205.8 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 44.2 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment