Sunday, April 10, 2016

Flight Summary - 4/10/16

Hey, friends of mine! Hope y'all have had a great week and weekend. The WNY weather has sure been unkind to us lately, in terms of spring-like behavior. Snow, cold, and wind has been the tale of this past week. Anywho, as you can probably imagine, these conditions led to me scrubbing yet another possible Instrument Checkride appointment. Friday, the day of my proposed test, was met with low clouds, snow flurries, and winds. So, it was a "no-go." 

Patiently I wait, as now the earliest I can take the IFR test is April 21/22. The examiner is out of town until then. Luckily, the weather is showing signs of becoming more spring-like. So much, in fact, that I was actually able to fly today, with my buddy Robert! He served as my safety pilot, once again. I cannot thank him enough for his willingness to do this for me, time and time again.

I planned to do a "mock" Instrument Checkride for today, and was able to do just that. Everything from the PTS (Practical Test Standards) was on my list. I was able to accomplish most of the items, so I would call it a success. Here's what we did...


4/10/16 Mock Instrument Checkride
1/2.) No-Gyro VOR-A Instrument Approach into 5G0 (Leroy) from GEE VOR
3.) No-Gyro Missed Approach Procedure from 5G0 to GEE VOR
4.) Steep-Turns by Instrument Reference Only
5.) RNAV Instrument Approach for RWY 28 into KROC, Circle to Land RWY 25.

You'll note that line "1" is a tad "squiggly," as a result of my no-gyro flying. This requires using the magnetic compass and turn coordinator, in place of the heading/attitude indicators. So, a bit a "zig-zag" is common. Overall, I thought I was pretty close.


5G0 VOR-A Approach (No-Gyro)
1.) Procedure turn of GEE VOR to initiate approach (parallel hold entry)
2.) Intercept and fly final approach course of 323 Degrees
3.) If no visual of runway environment, go "missed"
4.) Missed approach procedure followed, return to GEE VOR.

With the no-gyro procedures out of the way, I had Robert spot traffic for me while I executed a couple of steep-turns (more than 30 Degrees of bank.) The trick with steep turns is maintaining bank angle and altitude, all at the same time. It's a perfect balance, and difficult to achieve as with a high angle of bank, the airplane loses it's horizontal lift component, and wants to sink. Keep the right amount of control input/yoke back-pressure, and trim is crucial. When flying VFR, these turns are tricky, however when IFR, they prove even more difficult without reference to the outside horizon. However, they are totally doable, and I did them today! I was very happy with the outcome.

After the steep turns, we returned to KROC to shoot an RNAV Approach for RWY 28, with a "Circle-to-Land" for RWY 25. This type of procedure allows a pilot to land on an alternate runway from the one depicted on the approach plate, if conditions are favorable and the pilot is able to land safely. It is a required operation on the Instrument Checkride.

KROC RNAV Approach RWY 28, Circle-To-Land RWY 25
1.) Receive vectors from KROC ATC to intercept FAF (Final Approach Fix) SUUSA
2.) Intercept FAF @ SUUSA, heading 280 Degrees
3.) Maintain final course and glide-slope for RWY 28, RWY 25 now in sight
4.) Land RWY 25 ("Circle-To-Land.")

You'll note the change in heading between marks "3" and "4," from 280 Degrees (for RWY 28) to 250 Degrees (for RWY 25.) It's a nifty little procedure, for sure.

Once we landed, Robert felt that I did a good job. Overall, I felt happy about the flight as well. I am as ready as can be for this IFR flight test. Now, to just continue being patient! Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

FAA Instrument Rating Checkride = 4/21-4/22
4/10 Flight Time Logged = 1.2 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 201.8 Hrs

Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 48.2 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment