Saturday, September 17, 2016

Mid-September Pilot Journey Update

My friends, family, and followers...Greetings!

I hope that each of you, as always, are enjoying life. I also hope you are chasing your own dreams/goals, as best you know how. Every time I post, I feel some sense of "guilt," for lack of a better term, for chasing my dreams. Why? I guess it's because I know how hard each of you work on your own, but just don't put it out there for others to see! So, I want to hear from y'all! What are you working on? How are you getting closer to your dream? I really am curious! :-)

On my end, the journey to becoming a Professional Pilot has taken a couple huge steps this past week. As mentioned in my last "agenda" post, namely the long night cross-country and long solo cross-country flights. Yup, you can check them both off as "done!" Here's the rundown...

Tuesday 9/13

Sunset upon 904RA, prior to our departure

One of the requirements for earning the Commercial Pilot's License is to complete a 100 Mile/2 Hour-long cross-country flight, with one's instructor. On Tuesday night, I flew to Griffiss/Rome airport to fulfill this req. This is the same flight I took for the daytime 100-Mile/2-Hour flight with my CFI. However, in addition to the flight, I needed to make 13 takeoffs and landings for night proficiency (3 for night currency, 10 for CPL req's.) Once the sun went down, Scott (CFI) and I began our journey into the dark. At first, I felt kind of "off," as it had been 6 years since I last flew at night (while in Private Pilot training!) However, as we progressed, I began to feel more comfortable. By the time we had done the first 3 takeoffs/landings, I was "back in the saddle." 

The flight to/from Rome was straightforward. The night was beautiful, smooth, serene. Flying in the dark is just something that one has to experience for themselves to truly appreciate. It is completely different, it's just beautiful!

9/13/16 Flight Summary (KROC>>>KRME>>>KROC)
1.) 3 Takeoffs/Landings & Depart KROC
2.) Arrive KRME, 1 "Touch & Go"
3.) Arrive KROC, 6 "Touch & Goes"

Approach/Landing @ KRME

6 "Touch & Goes" @ KROC (& Bonus 360 Turn for Traffic)

And, with that, the night cross-country and time req's were fulfilled! The hardest part of the whole flight? Taxiing back to the tie-down area on the ramp, after landing. We were both drained! But, we did it. What a fun night it was...

Friday 9/16

Yesterday, I took a big leap towards earning my Commercial "ticket," I completed the looooooonnnnnggggg solo cross-country flight! For the CPL, the FAA requires a flight of no-less than 300-Miles, with 3 stops (minimum), and the longest straight-line distance from departure airport be 250-Miles. So, for the trip, I planned to go from Rochester to Coshocton, OH. This airport was exactly 251-Miles from KROC, which is why I chose it. 

Little did I know, I'd meet two of my "facebook friends" at this little airport! See, I began planning this trip a month ago. I had heard that Coshocton had a small airshow, but did not know the date. This past week, as I nailed-down the details in my flight planning, I remembered to check when the show was. Sure enough, it is this weekend! So, naturally, I looked up the performers list to see if anyone I knew was scheduled to appear. Sure enough, a role-model of mine, Mr. Vlado Lenoch, was listed. In addition, a fellow L-Bird driver, and mentor of mine, Mr. ED Roo said he'd meet me there, as well!

With any airshow, there exist these neat little things called "TFRs," or "Temporary Flight Restrictions." These are put in place by the airshow planners/FAA to keep the airspace needed for the performers in the show safe from "foreign" traffic. I called ahead to confirm the times the TFR would be active, and I was "in the clear" for the time of my flight. I was ready, and excited, to go!

Flying over Youngstown, OH area

The whole flight was, uneventful, in a good way! No "squawks," just smooth flying. Even though the legs were long (1.5 hours each), the time (literally) flew by, because I was so focused on the task at hand. I can honestly say that, during this flight, I felt like a commercial pilot. I felt so in-control and calculated in everything I did. It was really vindicating for me. I really can tell that I am getting close to that CPL.

9/16/16 Flight Summary (Long XC Leg #1: KROC>>>8G2)
1.) Depart KROC
2.) Arrive 8G2 (Corry, PA)

9/16/16 Flight Summary (Long XC Leg #2: 8G2>>>I40)
1.) Depart 8G2 (Corry, PA)
2.) Arrive I40 (Coshocton Co. Airport, OH)

On the flight down, I saw some cool sights. Over Youngstown, I saw some KC-135s in the pattern. Big birds, they are!

Youngstown ANG KC-135 "Stratotanker," used for aerial re-fueling

Also, I saw the skylines for Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and flew right over Akron/Canton. It was sweet! Once I arrived in Coshocton, I was "marshalled" in by none-other-than ED! With a firm handshake, he "welcomed" me to Ohio. From there, I got my fuel "top-off," then went inside the Pilot's lounge to meet the one-and-only Vlado Lenoch. What a cool guy, he is! I was so glad to meet both he and ED. Having mentors like them goes a long way for an aspiring professional/warbird pilot. :-) After chatting with Vlado and ED for a few, I "mounted" my noble steed Cessna 172 N998RA, once again. Shortly after, I departed for home!

Couple nice F-18s in for the show

9/16/16 Flight Summary (Long XC Leg #3: I40>>>KJHW)
1.) Depart I40 (Coshocton Co. Airport, OH)
2.) Arrive KJHW (Jamestown, NY)

On the way down to OH, I averaged ~95 KTS groundspeed. This is pretty good! On the way back, I had the prevailing winds on my side, and I was averaging ~115 KTS over the ground. I was cruisin'.

"Flying Home"

Over Northern PA/Southern NY

9/16/16 Flight Summary (Long XC Leg #4: KJHW>>>KROC)
1.) Depart KJHW
2.) Arrive KROC


Flying over "home" to KROC, Avon

Once I landed back in Rochester, I was met by my good flying buddy Charlie, along with the freshly-fixed Piper PA28-200R "Arrow!" Charlie asked if I'd like to go flying with him in it, and I (of course) agreed. 

Home, safe 'n sound...

The "Arrow"

She flew great, and I am psyched to start training in her soon! All that remains between me and the Commercial Pilot's License is 10 Hours in the Arrow, and the Written Exam. I say, let's do this!

Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

2 comments: