Monday, December 21, 2015

So Close, I Can Taste It

The practice for my IFR checkride has been continuing. This December's awesome weather continues to provide me with ample opportunities to tear up the skies. This past week, I flew on Friday, and twice on Sunday. 

Friday's flight was interesting. I took the "smaller" Cessna, the 150L, up for a hop. I was going to practice holding patterns and a DME arc, but once I got up there, I decided just to enjoy the flight and sight-see. You see, every now and then, a pilot has to "just have fun." The time I flew counts towards my commercial license, anyhow. Furthermore, the weather was beginning to turn south pretty quick,. so I didn't want to commit to any procedures in case I had to split for KROC fast. It was a fun flight!

Sunday was awesome. I flew with two great pilot friends of mine. First, in the AM, I flew with my buddy Robert J. Serving as my "safety pilot" (allows me to fly with "foggles" on for instrument practice), Rob and I shot down to Penn Yan airport (KPEO.) I did an RNAV-LNAV (GPS based, lateral navigation) instrument approach, which was smooth. I was very happy, I am really feeling confident and consistent here, now. After the Penn Yan stop, we flew over to the Geneseo VOR (GEE) where I practiced my holding patterns once again. The results were good, as you can see. I am very happy.



Sunday afternoon was great fun as well. Naomi W., my friend from the Warplane Museum, split time with me doing some instrument practice. We did more holding patterns, and each did a VOR-A approach (one into Leroy, and one in Batavia.) These are "non-precision" approaches, but good to practice!

Now, I am awaiting a date on my IFR checkride, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment