Friday, March 25, 2016

While We Wait

Greetings once again, everyone! I wanted to give you all an update on the latest with my Instrument Rating Checkride. As you know from the last couple of my posts, the weather has been delaying the flight portion of my IFR flight test. This is ironic, because to obtain my IFR rating, I must actually fly in VFR (Visual Flight Rule) conditions, under the "foggles." 

Further VFR vs. IFR Explanation/Info: https://www.pea.com/blog/posts/vfr-ifr-mean/

The reason for this is, since I am not yet an instrument rated pilot, as PIC ("pilot in command") for the checkride, I cannot fly in IFR conditions...yet. But, I digress. While I wait, with bated breath, for next Thursday or Friday (next proposed dates of checkride), the best I can do is to stay sharp!

Tom Petty is right! Waiting is the hardest part.

This past Monday, I flew one more time with our CFI, John. We wanted to do a "no-gyro" approach one more time before my test, as it had been a while since I last executed one. An approach without gyro's means a vacuum system failure, which also means that your heading and attitude indicators are inoperable. With these two instruments out of commission, you are forced to rely upon your magnetic compass, altimeter, VSI, and GPS (if equipped) to fill the voids left behind. 

Example of a "non-gyro" approach in FSX.

On the Instrument Rating Checkride, the FAA requires the pilot-applicant to execute a simulated "no-gyro" non-precision instrument approach, often a VOR approach. This is done via the DPE covering the affected instruments with suction cups, so that the pilot cannot see them and must rely on his other "tools." This is a tricky proposition, but with the right training, totally doable!

John and I took off from KROC, after "fighting" mother-natures leftovers (frost on the airplane from being left outside the previous night.) Moving the bird into the hangar for ~15-20 mins makes quick work of any left-over frost from the previous evening. Besides the cold temps, the weather was forecast to be good. However, once John and I climbed out to GEE VOR to initiate the VOR approach into Leroy (5G0), we noticed low clouds coming in from the West. In addition, we overheard radio calls from inbound airliners from the West calling reports of snow. John kept an eye/ear on the situation, but instructed me to proceed to the GEE VOR to execute the procedure turn and initiate the approach into 5G0.

KROC>>>GEE>>>5G0>>>KROC RWY 28 ILS
1.) Depart KROC to the south (Heading 201) for GEE VOR
2.) Arrive @ GEE VOR, initiate procedure turn for 5G0 VOR-A approach
3.) Complete procedure turn, fly inbound to 5G0 for VOR-A approach
4.) Weather deteriorates @ 5G0, request inbound back to KROC for ILS RWY 28 approach
5.) Initiate ILS RWY 28 approach into KROC
6.) Land @ KROC

Well, as you read in the summary above, those weather reports that we were hearing over the radio were indeed a threat. As soon as I completed the procedure turn for the 5G0 VOR-A approach, we called KROC ATC and requested that we come back inbound. Here, you can see a "whole lotta nope" for VFR flying into Leroy...

Radar-grab from ExpressJet 3843, we were airbourne at the same time, just South.

Regardless of having to scrub the rest of the approach into Leroy, I did at least get to stay sharp on my "no-gyro" procedure turn. 

"No-Gyro" Approach Procedure Turn
1.) Arrive @ GEE VOR on 201 degree radial "FROM"
2.) Arrive @ GEE VOR, initiate procedure turn (parallel entry holding pattern.) Fly outbound heading of 143 degrees for 1-minute
3.) Standard-rate turn to the left for until flying a heading of approximately 293 degrees (inbound on final approach course @ VOR)
4.) Fly 293 degree heading until CDI on VOR is centered, and established on final approach course.

The trick with flying a "no-gyro" approach is using the magnetic compass correctly. You see, the mag compass is subject to a lot of different errors, due to the magnetic forces. So, the key is to fly with very gentle, smooth movements and also time your turns appropriately to compensate for lead/lag errors.


Once the "no-gyro" experiment was done, John and I once again shot the ILS approach for RWY 28 @ KROC, and landed. Overall, the flight was very successful. However, not satisfied that I could not complete the VOR approach without gyros, I decided to fire-up the old FSX flight-sim to try for myself, at home. This time, I opted for the VOR-A approach into Genesee County (KGVQ), Batavia.


"No-Gyro" KGVQ VOR-A Approach
1.) Fly inbound from GEE VOR, no procedure turn required
2.) Minimums not met, "go-around" and execute missed approach procedure. Right turning climb to 3,000' and GEE VOR radial 311 degrees
3.) Intercept LENER intersection, enter the holding pattern using a parallel entry (outbound 1 minute, standard rate turn back inbound.)
4.) Re-intercept final approach course of 311 degrees after missed approach holding pattern.
5.) Weather/Visibility minimums met = LAND

There! After doing the SIM, I felt 100% satisfied. I love using FSX, because you can set it up in any configuration you like, including vacuum failures. So, for now, I will keep hitting the SIM as I wait for the weather here to lift. Next Thursday or Friday, I feel, will be a very special day. Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

Remainder of FAA Instrument Rating Checkride = 3/31 or 4/1

3/21 Flight Time Logged = 1.0 Hrs
Total Flight Time = 200.6 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 49.4 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment