Friday, January 20, 2017

Toy Story (Ep. #3)

Happy Weekend, Folks!

Hope you have each had a great week, and that your weekends are productive and/or relaxing (whichever you prefer, if not both.) As I hone in closer on the commercial pilot license, I continue to reflect on the things from my past that have gotten me to this point. As I've posted many a time before, airplane toys have always been one of the major contributors to my aviation "addiction." For this installment of the "Toy Story" series, we examine one of my many P-51 toys!


The origins of exactly how I gained this P-51 are fuzzy to me, but I believe it was acquired from a garage sale by my father (perhaps he can chime in, here.) This toy has good size, and a unique propeller (3-blader on a "D" model) which spun really good when held outside a moving car window. :-)


This P-51 was manufactured by "Gay Toys," and I actually had a toy Learjet made by them as well. You'll not the unique "paint job" that I gave my P-51. My intention @ Age 3 was to replicate the P-51D "Six Shooter," which at the time was based at our National Warplane Museum in Geneseo (then owned by Rick Korff.) Hence, the blue wing and tail. Never underestimate the capabilities of a 3 year old with a blue sharpie! ;-)

"Six Shooter!"

See the resemblance? It's uncanny!

I still have my P-51 to this day. It certainly served an integral role in me wanting to become a warbird pilot! Now, if only I could find a way to upscale this toy, and my Yak-3 model...???

Until next time, "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

No comments:

Post a Comment