Sunday, May 8, 2016

We May Fly

Happy Mother's Day, to all of you! I hope that you were able to spend the day with those who you love most, or at least doing something to honor those loved ones who have passed. This first week of May was a great one, flying-wise...

Friday 4/6: I flew the Cessna 150L from ROC to Akron Airport (9G3) to visit the Buffalo Heritage Squadron. A branch of the Commemorative Air Force, the BHS operates a 1941 North American SNJ-4. The SNJ was used as an Advanced-Trainer by the Allies, in WWII. The USAAC called it the T-6 "Texan," while the RAF/RCAF named her the "Harvard." Whatever the title, the SNJ was the last step for pilot's before stepping into the P-51, Spitfire, or F4U.

I was met by Squadron member/pilot/mechanic Jared Cummings. He gave me the full tour, and I will be joining soon! Just like in WWII, for those who wish to fly the fighter planes (ala, me), one must build time in an SNJ first. This is my plan, just as soon as I earn my Commercial Pilot's License (soon.)

Flight to Akron (9G3) from KROC

The SNJ-4, in all her glory

I could get used to this...

She fits me good! Soon...

I really enjoyed my visit, thanks again to Sarah and Jared for getting me in for a visit! I look forward to joining and flying with you soon.

My flight back to KROC involved me practicing another holding pattern at the GEE VOR, and it 'twas as fun as always. Upon returning to KROC, I met with my CFI and flew in the SIM (Redbird) to keep sharp while awaiting a date for the IFR Checkride. We also reviewed some ground materials, just to be safe. All looks good, so stay tuned!

Flight from Akron (9G3) back to KROC

Holding Pattern @ GEE VOR, with teardrop-entry procedure

Saturday 4/7: I volunteered at the museum (National Warplane Museum), and we did a little bit of everything, including flying! We fixed Don N's Cessna 150, ran/flew the Antonov AN-2, C-47, and also the J-5. I saw my good buddy Rob G., and also met Eric W., a longtime museum "guy." I had the honor and privilege of flying one of our SUNY Geneseo helpers, Donovan, in the L-16. This was his first small plane ride, and he loved it. The SUNY bunch has been a great help to our museum, and it was great to thank one of them with a ride. It was a great day!

Another successful L-16 flight in the books

Sunday 4/8: Today, prior to taking my mum out for the day (after breakfast/flowers in bed, of course!) I flew some ILS approached in Flight Simulator X (FSX.) I am doing all I can as I await the date of my IFR Checkride. After I took mum out, I returned to Geneseo to "clean up" from my L-16 flight, yesterday. We have a new technique for keeping the L-Birds clean, Lemon Pledge! The stuff works great for removing bugs/dirt/grime on the prop and leading edge surfaces. Who knew?

For when your L-16 needs a lemon-y fresh scent!

The weekend was a smashing success, in my book. As the weather only gets better, I will continue to build time towards my Commercial License, while knocking down the IFR Checkride on my way. Most importantly, I am building valuable tailwheel/warbird time in the L-16, as I bide my time to get into the WWII fighters and bombers. Until next time "Keep 'Em Flying," and "Never, Never, Never Give Up."

FAA Instrument Rating Checkride = TBA
5/6-5/7 Flight Time Logged = 1.5
Total Flight Time = 211.7 Hrs
Total Flight Time to Commercial License = 38.3 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment