Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A Pilot and His Toys (Part 2)

I continue to go through some recently unearthed toys of mine, from my childhood. This post, I want to focus on this Matchbox Learjet toy! Many people who know me also know that I have a "thing" for corporate aircraft (though not *quite* as strong as for warbirds.) One of my aviation goals in life is to fly a Learjet 45, Cessna Citation-Mustang, Mitsubishi MU-2, or Piaggio. 

I distinctly remember the day I got this Learjet. It came from the Marketplace Mall KB Toys, when I was still a toddler. I remember it being ironic, because I only knew Matchbox as the company that made toy cars. So, imagine my surprise when this DHL corporate jet jumped off the shelf to my attention! My parents must have taken notice at my infatuation with it, as I emerged from the now-extinct KB Toys with my "1st" Learjet. As I recall, it was out of the packaging by the time we went to the Disney Store (also defunct), which was right across the concourse.

See, for pilots, a passion to fly a certain plane can start with something as simple as a neat, unique toy...


No comments:

Post a Comment